Death sentence to 17 Indians in UAE shocking: Govt
New Delhi: Describing as "shocking" the
death sentence to 17 Indians in UAE, government today said it
will ensure all possible help to them, including legal
assistance, to file an appeal in a higher court.
Indian Consulate has already sought access to these
Indians, sentenced to death by Sharjah`s Shariah court for
killing a Pakistani man and injuring three others in an
alleged fight over illegal alcohol business.
"We will give them consular assistance and we will also
try to find out in what other ways we can help them out to
file an appeal in higher court," External Affairs Minister S
M Krishna said.
Minister for Overseas Indian Affairs Vyalar Ravi said
"....see that everything should be done and give an important
lawyer and also financial assistance to the accused and
definitely, we will try to help these people who are in the
need of government help.
"We will do that, I can assure you that. The death
sentence to 17 people at a time is rather shocking. So, we
have decided to give maximum possible help to them."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof