Death sentence to 17 Indians in UAE shocking: Govt
New Delhi: Describing as "shocking" the
death sentence to 17 Indians in UAE, government today said it
will ensure all possible help to them, including legal
assistance, to file an appeal in a higher court.
Indian Consulate has already sought access to these
Indians, sentenced to death by Sharjah`s Shariah court for
killing a Pakistani man and injuring three others in an
alleged fight over illegal alcohol business.
"We will give them consular assistance and we will also
try to find out in what other ways we can help them out to
file an appeal in higher court," External Affairs Minister S
M Krishna said.
Minister for Overseas Indian Affairs Vyalar Ravi said
"....see that everything should be done and give an important
lawyer and also financial assistance to the accused and
definitely, we will try to help these people who are in the
need of government help.
"We will do that, I can assure you that. The death
sentence to 17 people at a time is rather shocking. So, we
have decided to give maximum possible help to them."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed