Death toll rises to 22 in Kota bridge collapse
Kota: With the recovery of 15 more bodies
on Saturday from the debris of an under-construction bridge over
Chambal river, the death toll has risen to 22 even as the two
officials arrested in connection with the collapse were
remanded in police custody for five days.
The bridge over Chambal river had collapsed on Thursday
"Fifteen more dead bodies have been pulled out till
evening today and around 20 others are still missing," IG Kota
Range Rajeev Dasot told agency.
According to the officer, efforts are underway to locate
the missing labourers who were working at the site.
In the rescue operation, 200 labourers, 200 policemen, 50
officials, 80 Army Jawans, 20 experts from calamity relief
management of Gujarat and naval divers are engaged.
Meanwhile, the two arrested officials-- chief project
manager of Hyundai Engineering and Construction and deputy
project manager of Gammon India--were produced before a local
court here which sent them to five-day police remand.
Kota police has also registered a case against 14
officials of Gammon and Hyundai in connection with the
On the other hand, NHAI member Subhash Patel said here
that both the companies will continue to execute the project.
He also showed confidence in working ability of both the
companies and said human error might have led to the collapse
as there was no doubt about the designing technology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report