Debate on partition unnecessary: Vayalar Ravi
Thiruvananthapuram: Union Minister for
Overseas Indian Affairs Vayalar Ravi on Saturday said expelled BJP
leader Jaswant Singh`s argument in his book that Jawaharlal
Nehru and Sardar Patel were also responsible for the partition
of India "does not deserve a reply."
A debate on the partition of the sub-continent would
serve no purpose at this juncture, he told reporters here.
"It (partition) is a closed chapter. It is quite
unnecessary to remind the people of the country of what had
happened," Ravi said commenting on Singh`s controversial book
"...Jinnah did not win Pakistan, as the Congress leaders-
Nehru and Patel finally conceded Pakistan to Jinnah, with the
British acting as an ever helpful midwife," Singh says in his
The senior Congress leader said it had been an old BJP
game "to rake up unpleasant chapters of history to create
social tension and ill-will."
Asked if Singh`s attempt could not be seen as a
reappraisal of history, he said "there are many things people
may not like to be reminded."
What was important was to preserve the system India had
sustained ever since attaining freedom in which people of
different communities are living together in harmony, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez