Debate on Sri Lankan Tamils issue in LS today
New Delhi: Amid sustained pressure by political parties from Tamil Nadu, the UPA government will on Thursday hold a discussion on the Sri Lankan Tamils issue in Lok Sabha.
An announcement in this regard was made by Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath yesterday. The assurance came when AIADMK leader M Thambidurai raised the matter during Zero Hour.
Tamil parties are up in arms after fresh allegations about human rights violations against ethnic Tamils by Sri Lankan forces, in the wake of charges that 12-year-old son of slain LTTE Chief V Prabhakaran was shot dead in cold blood.
The Tamil parties are pressing the government to take a tough stand against Sri Lanka on a UN Resolution in the coming days.
In an attempt to mount pressure on the government, MPs of DMK, a major partner of the ruling UPA, yesterday wore black shirt while attending House proceedings.
They also held a protest inside the Parliament House complex on the issue.
Congress MPs from Tamil Nadu have already told party Vice President Rahul Gandhi that India should take a stern stand against Sri Lanka at the upcoming UN meet on Tamils issue as it was crucial for the party`s future in the state.
The MPs had said that Rahul was told of the problems faced by Sri Lankan Tamils and the need for a political reconciliation and implementation of the 13th Amendment.
India has already said there should be accountability for such issues but has remained evasive on the position it will take at the UN on a resolution against that country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Brexit will greatly weaken EU, says European Commission Vice-President Maros Sefcovic
- SHOCKING! This model ran sex racket under guise of production house in Mumbai's Versova, arrested
- 'BJP will retain power at Centre in 2019 Lok Sabha elections'
- Theatre doyen Kavalam Narayana Panicker passes away; he was 88
- AugustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: None will be spared, asserts Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar