Debate over two power centres useless: PM
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Friday dismissed the debate over two power centres as "useless" even as he did not rule out his accepting the third term.
"This is the creation of the media. It is a useless debate," he told the reporters when asked about the issue of two power centres coming into focus after senior Congress leader Digvijaya Singh raked it up recently.
Digvijaya Singh had said the two power centres -- one the Congress President Sonia Gandhi and another the Prime Minister -- had not worked well and should not be repeated.
Congress officially rejected this contention of Digvijaya Singh and said it was an "ideal model" for future also.
When asked whether he would accept the third term as Prime Minister, Manmohan Singh said, "it is a hypothetical question... We are yet to complete this term."
The current term of the government will end in May next year.
Asked whether he was ruling himself out, he said, "I am not ruling it in, I am not ruling it out."
Queried whether he would welcome Rahul Gandhi as the Prime Minister, Manmohan Singh replied, "oh yes, anyday."
Gandhi, who was appointed as vice-president of Congress in January, has been reluctant to join the government.
Even on Thursday, he dubbed as "irrelevant" the questions over whether he would become the Prime Minister.
The Prime Minister, who was interacting with the mediapersons at Rashtrapati Bhavan after presentation of Padma Awards, was also asked to comment on Rahul Gandhi`s speech at the CII on Thursday to which he remarked, "excellent".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends