Decentralise power, says Anna Hazare
Ralegan Siddhi: Spelling out that his next phase of agitation would be to achieve "power for the people", veteran social activist Anna Hazare on Thursday said time had come for the masses to enjoy the fruits of democracy.
"Today power is concentrated in Mantralaya (secretariat)in Mumbai or in Delhi. There is a need for decentralisation of power," Hazare said after unfurling the tricolour at the Republic Day celebrations in his village in Ralegan Siddhi in western Maharashtra.
"Anna has indicated that so far the fight was for a strong Lokpal. That would continue. However, today he spoke about broadening the movement and making it a campaign to achieve decentralisation of power," the Gandhian`s aide Datta Awari said.
Anti-corruption activist Anna Hazare said time had come for the masses to enjoy the fruits of democracy.
The meaning of the word Republic is "power to the people". However, that is not the case today, Hazare said.
Bollywood actor Anupam Kher, who attended the programme, said that he would provide free training to Ralegan youth at his acting institute in Mumbai.
Kher had also attended Hazare`s fast in Mumbai last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000