Decision of Services not playing Ranji by SSCB: Antony
New Delhi: Government today said the
defence forces` decision of not playing the Ranji match in
Srinagar in November was taken by the President of the
Services Sports Control Board (SSCB).
"A decision was taken by the President, SSCB to not
participate in Ranji trophy tournament this year against Jammu
and Kashmir Cricket Association at Srinagar in November this
year. This was based on the recommendations of the 15 Corps as
endorsed by Northern Command headquarters," Defence Minister
A K Antony said in reply to a Rajya Sabha query.
The move had come in for flak from various quarters as
the Services team had cited security reasons for refusing to
play in Srinagar.
The decision was taken by the SSCB, President and Navy
Vice Chief Vice Admiral D K Deewan on recommendations of the
15 Corps and Udhampur-based Northern Command headquarters, he
The Minister said the Services reviewed and revised
their decision in the interest of the game and career of the
After the incident, Minister of State for Defence M M
Pallam Raju had termed the decision as "unfortunate" and said
that it was taken at a "lower level".
Meanwhile, answering another query, the Antony said
the Border Roads Organisation (BRO) was entrusted with the
task of making 61 strategic roads in the North-east.
"Till date, 12 such roads have been completed and work
is in progress on 41 other roads and efforts are being made to
ensure timely completion of these roads," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH