Decision on critically polluted areas soon: Prakash Javadekar
Ahmedabad: The government will find an amicable solution to the issue of banning new projects or expansion of existing projects in Gujarat`s `critically polluted` industrial clusters, Union Minister for State for Forests and Environment Prakash Javadekar said here on Sunday.
These three industrial clusters include Vapi in Valsad district, Ankleshwar in Bharuch and Vatva in Ahmedabad.
During UPA rule, the Union Ministry of Environment and Forests (MoEF) had recognised these clusters as India`s most polluted places and banned setting up new projects or expansion of existing projects till the situation improved.
In a joint press conference here today, Javadekar assured that a solution to the issue would be found within two weeks. He was accompanied by Gujarat`s minister for forest and environment Ganpat Vasava.
"After arriving here, I held a detailed discussion about that issue with local ministers and officials. I am also taking some files related to these industrial clusters with me," he said.
"In the coming days, both the state ministers as well as the Gujarat Chief Minister will hold another meeting with our ministry. We will take a decision within two weeks to sort out the issue," said Javadekar, who was here to attend the engagement ceremony of BJP national president Amit Shah`s son.
Similarly, Javadekar assured permission to construct a Narmada branch canal passing from forest land in Kutch.
"Within a few days, National Board of Wildlife will be set up. Thus, our ministry will put that issue before them for further action," said Javadekar, who vowed to bring about a balance between environment and industrialisation.
"We believe in development without destruction. On one side, we are determined to protect the environment, while on the other side, we also want to bring development. Many people believe that both of them are opposite to each other, but we will keep both in mind while clearing projects," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'