Decision on Devyani Khobragade`s plea for exemption from pre-trial today
Zee Media Bureau/Hemant Abhishek
New Delhi: Decision on Devyani Khobragade`s plea seeking waiver from attending the pre-trial process will be heard on Monday.
Indian diplomat in the US Devyani Khobragade, was transferred as Counsellor in the Indian Mission to the UN to give her full diplomatic immunity had sought this waiver.
Also today ends the deadline for all US consular diplomats, staffs and their families to surrender their identity cards. This, alongwith the demand that all US Consular diplomats provide a list of all Indian nationals working with its Consulates, including domestic servants, was set by India in retaliation to the treatment meted out to Devyani Khobragade by the US.
Apart from asking all consulate staff and families to surrender airports passes the government has also sought copies of their contracts, bank accounts, salaries and PAN numbers.
External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid said, "We have written to all US Consulates in the country asking that their Consular identity cards may be withdrawn for review no later than December 23."
Reports suggest a quid-pro-quo approach in future wherein its consulate members will only enjoy those previliges that the US prvides Indian diplomats in that country.
Devyani Khobragade, 39, was arrested on Thursday on the street while she was dropping her daughter to school and was handcuffed in public.
She was later released on a USD 250,000 bail. She has been accused of lying on the visa application for an Indian national who worked at her home from November 2012 to June 2013 for less than four dollars an hour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Osama bin Laden is alive, staying in Bahamas, claims Edward Snowden