Decision on Devyani Khobragade`s plea for exemption from pre-trial today
Zee Media Bureau/Hemant Abhishek
New Delhi: Decision on Devyani Khobragade`s plea seeking waiver from attending the pre-trial process will be heard on Monday.
Indian diplomat in the US Devyani Khobragade, was transferred as Counsellor in the Indian Mission to the UN to give her full diplomatic immunity had sought this waiver.
Also today ends the deadline for all US consular diplomats, staffs and their families to surrender their identity cards. This, alongwith the demand that all US Consular diplomats provide a list of all Indian nationals working with its Consulates, including domestic servants, was set by India in retaliation to the treatment meted out to Devyani Khobragade by the US.
Apart from asking all consulate staff and families to surrender airports passes the government has also sought copies of their contracts, bank accounts, salaries and PAN numbers.
External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid said, "We have written to all US Consulates in the country asking that their Consular identity cards may be withdrawn for review no later than December 23."
Reports suggest a quid-pro-quo approach in future wherein its consulate members will only enjoy those previliges that the US prvides Indian diplomats in that country.
Devyani Khobragade, 39, was arrested on Thursday on the street while she was dropping her daughter to school and was handcuffed in public.
She was later released on a USD 250,000 bail. She has been accused of lying on the visa application for an Indian national who worked at her home from November 2012 to June 2013 for less than four dollars an hour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan