Decision on Food Bill likely next week
New Delhi: The government is likely to firm up next week a view on how to go about the Food Security Bill.
Indications to this effect were available today with the government sources saying a decision will be taken only after Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar`s return from Rome where he has gone to attend FAO conference.
A meeting of the Congress core group today, which was to take up the issue, instead focussed on the situation caused by devastating floods in Uttarkhand.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath and Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde are expected to hold further talks to evolve a consensus on the matter.
The talk in government circles is that an ordinance is unlikely at the moment and the government will wait for the next session of Parliament to see the passage of the bill which is seen by Congress as a game-changer for the 2014 Lok Sabha elections.
Congress leaders say party chief Sonia Gandhi, as also party Vice President Rahul Gandhi, are in favour of having discussions in Parliament on the Bill that seeks to give legal rights over subsidised foodgrains to 67 per cent of the country`s population.
Last week, the government had put on hold its plans to bring an ordinance on Food Security in the face of opposition within and outside and decided to make another attempt to evolve a consensus to get it through in a special session of Parliament.
The view in a section of Congress is that there is no need to handle the Food Security Bill issue like the Indo-US nuclear deal and government should reach out to the opposition to get its support.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India