Decision on Lalu Prasad`s Lok Sabha membership after studying order: Meira Kumar
Coimbatore: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on Monday said a decision on disqualification of RJD supremo Lalu Prasad as MP would be taken after studying the court judgement convicting him in the multi-crore fodder scam.
"You see, the moment I landed at Coimbatore, I heard about the judgement about Lalu Prasad. A decision will be taken on his disqualification (as MP) after going through the judgement," she told reporters here.
Kumar, who is here to attend a function, was reacting to the conviction of the former Bihar chief minister by a special CBI court in Ranchi.
"We have not received the judgement copy yet. Moreover, the quantum of punishment is yet to be pronounced. After that only it will be decided," she said when asked what will be the fate of Prasad`s Lok Sabha membership.
The Supreme Court has recently ruled that an MP or legislator would stand disqualified immediately if convicted by a court for crimes with punishment of two years or more.
A CBI court in Ranchi today convicted Lalu Prasad and 44 others in a 17-year-old fodder scam case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing