Decision on Lalu Prasad`s Lok Sabha membership after studying order: Meira Kumar
Coimbatore: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on Monday said a decision on disqualification of RJD supremo Lalu Prasad as MP would be taken after studying the court judgement convicting him in the multi-crore fodder scam.
"You see, the moment I landed at Coimbatore, I heard about the judgement about Lalu Prasad. A decision will be taken on his disqualification (as MP) after going through the judgement," she told reporters here.
Kumar, who is here to attend a function, was reacting to the conviction of the former Bihar chief minister by a special CBI court in Ranchi.
"We have not received the judgement copy yet. Moreover, the quantum of punishment is yet to be pronounced. After that only it will be decided," she said when asked what will be the fate of Prasad`s Lok Sabha membership.
The Supreme Court has recently ruled that an MP or legislator would stand disqualified immediately if convicted by a court for crimes with punishment of two years or more.
A CBI court in Ranchi today convicted Lalu Prasad and 44 others in a 17-year-old fodder scam case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video