Decision on MFN to help India-Pak ties: Sharma
New Delhi: India on Wednesday "deeply appreciated"
Pakistan`s decision to grant New Delhi the Most Favoured Nation (MFN) status, stating the move will also help improve
political ties between the two neighbours.
"We deeply appreciate this positive gesture that Pakistan
has taken," Commerce and Industry Minister Anand Sharma said
Sharma spoke to his Pakistani counterpart Makhdoom Amin
Fahim immediately after the decision taken by the Pakistani
When asked whether the move would help improve political
relationship between the countries, he said: "...It will be
influencing definitely in positive manner. We need to sustain
this in the coming months."
He said that when bilateral economic engagement improves,
it brings prosperity and growth to both the partners.
Sharma said the Makhdoom`s September visit here was a
major step forward in this direction.
Under the MFN status, Pakistan will treat India at par
with its other favoured trading partners. India has already
granted this status to the neighbouring country way back in
"It will be beneficial for both the countries. It opens
up new pathways of alleviating our economic engagement to a
much higher level," the minister said.
In 2010-11, the bilateral trade stood at USD 2.6
The India-Pakistan commercial negotiations were revived
after almost four years in April. The bilateral economic ties
were badly hit after November 2008 terror attack in Mumbai.
In April, the engagements were revived with Commerce
Secretary level talks in Islamabad. These were followed by
Fahim`s visit to New Delhi in September.
Pakistan Commerce Secretary Zafar Mahmood would be visit
India in mid-November for further review of economic ties.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi