Decision on Narmada height taken after Social Justice Ministery report: Uma Bharati
New Delhi: The decision to raise the height of Narmada dam to 138.72 metres was taken after the Social Justice Ministry said it was "100 per cent satisfied" over the rehabilitation of displaced people, Union Water Resources Minister Uma Bharati today said.
"According to the report of the Social Justice Ministry, they (Narmada Control Authority) have done all kinds of things they have to do...," she told reporters in the backdrop of Gujarat Chief Minister Anandiben Patel announcing that the NCA has given its approval to raise the height of the dam.
Bharti said, "All the responsibilities they have to commit they have done. They have full satisfactory report in this meeting (of NCA) today. That is why the decision was taken by the Water Resources Secretary," Bharti told reporters here.
She also said that the four states, which are concerned over the issue, were consulted.
Gujarat Health Minister and spokesperson Nitin Patel had stated that the meeting of the NCA in Delhi gave the approval for raising the dam`s height.
The decision to raise the height of the dam comes after eight years.
The foundation stone of the dam was laid by country`s first Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru on April 5, 1961. The project, however, got embroiled in controversy over issues of displacement of project-affected people.
However, the Supreme Court had earlier given the approval for the project to raise the height of the dam to 138.72
The main dam is 1,210 metres long and 163 metres high from the deepest foundation level.
It is the second largest concrete gravity dam (by volume) after Grand Coulee in the US and having world third largest spillway discharging capacity, as per the website of Sardar Sarovar Narmada Nigam Limited said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list