Decision on PM candidate to be taken later: BJP
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The parliamentary board of the BJP, which met on Tuesday to chart out the strategy for the 2014 General Elections, said that the decision on prime ministerial candidate will be taken at an appropriate time later.
Speaking to reporters, BJP chief Rajnath Singh said, “We are ready for polls. A decision on who will be the party’s official candidate for the 2014 polls will be taken at an appropriate time in future.”
The BJP chief, while stressing on the need to connect with more and more people, especially youths, through social networking websites, said that his party will not leave any stone unturned in ensuring the defeat of the Congress government at the centre.
The meeting was attended by the functionaries of the newly-appointed parliamentary board of the party, which include Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
This was the first meeting of the BJP parliamentary board attended by Modi after he was re-inducted in the key decision making body of the party.
Ahead of the board meeting, Modi met senior party leader LK Advani and termed the meeting as "wonderful".
Modi also met former BJP President Nitin Gadkari at his residence.
The meeting is being held at a time when the BJP has intensified its attacks against the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government, and has sought Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s resignation.
Speculation has been rife over Modi being the BJP`s likely prime ministerial candidate. However, there have been differences in the party over the issue. The allies of the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) have also been opposing projection of the Gujarat chief minister as the party`s prime ministerial candidate.
Modi`s re-induction in the BJP parliamentary board was seen as an indication towards his claim for the top post. His close aide Amit Shah has also been made election in-charge of Uttar Pradesh for the general elections.
BJP president Rajnath Singh, however, said that Modi did not influence Shah`s appointment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA