Decision on PM candidate to be taken later: BJP
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The parliamentary board of the BJP, which met on Tuesday to chart out the strategy for the 2014 General Elections, said that the decision on prime ministerial candidate will be taken at an appropriate time later.
Speaking to reporters, BJP chief Rajnath Singh said, “We are ready for polls. A decision on who will be the party’s official candidate for the 2014 polls will be taken at an appropriate time in future.”
The BJP chief, while stressing on the need to connect with more and more people, especially youths, through social networking websites, said that his party will not leave any stone unturned in ensuring the defeat of the Congress government at the centre.
The meeting was attended by the functionaries of the newly-appointed parliamentary board of the party, which include Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
This was the first meeting of the BJP parliamentary board attended by Modi after he was re-inducted in the key decision making body of the party.
Ahead of the board meeting, Modi met senior party leader LK Advani and termed the meeting as "wonderful".
Modi also met former BJP President Nitin Gadkari at his residence.
The meeting is being held at a time when the BJP has intensified its attacks against the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government, and has sought Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s resignation.
Speculation has been rife over Modi being the BJP`s likely prime ministerial candidate. However, there have been differences in the party over the issue. The allies of the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) have also been opposing projection of the Gujarat chief minister as the party`s prime ministerial candidate.
Modi`s re-induction in the BJP parliamentary board was seen as an indication towards his claim for the top post. His close aide Amit Shah has also been made election in-charge of Uttar Pradesh for the general elections.
BJP president Rajnath Singh, however, said that Modi did not influence Shah`s appointment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family