Decision on Telangana soon: Digvijay Singh
New Delhi: As the UPA government weighs its options on the demand for separate Telangana, Congress leader Digvijay Singh on Monday said he had submitted his proposal in this regard to party president Sonia Gandhi.
A decision would be taken soon, the party general secretary, who is in charge of party affairs in Andhra Pradesh, told reporters.
He said the timing of the decision would depend on the preparedness of three state leaders the Chief Minister, Deputy Chief Minister and state Congress president as they would have to present their case before the party`s top brass.
"When they get ready and Sonia Gandhi has time, they will appear before the Core Committee and a decision would be taken soon," he said.
When asked if an announcement would be made in this month, he declined to put a time frame.
Singh was in Andhra Pradesh recently and had held deliberations with party leaders over the issue.
Congress top brass, including Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Sonia Gandhi, had met last week to discuss the statehood issue.
With Lok Sabha as well as Assembly polls in Andhra Pradesh not far away, the party is under increasing pressure from its Telangana leaders to take a decision on the issue.
The state is divided on regional lines in the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!