Decision on Telangana soon: Digvijay Singh
New Delhi: As the UPA government weighs its options on the demand for separate Telangana, Congress leader Digvijay Singh on Monday said he had submitted his proposal in this regard to party president Sonia Gandhi.
A decision would be taken soon, the party general secretary, who is in charge of party affairs in Andhra Pradesh, told reporters.
He said the timing of the decision would depend on the preparedness of three state leaders the Chief Minister, Deputy Chief Minister and state Congress president as they would have to present their case before the party`s top brass.
"When they get ready and Sonia Gandhi has time, they will appear before the Core Committee and a decision would be taken soon," he said.
When asked if an announcement would be made in this month, he declined to put a time frame.
Singh was in Andhra Pradesh recently and had held deliberations with party leaders over the issue.
Congress top brass, including Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Sonia Gandhi, had met last week to discuss the statehood issue.
With Lok Sabha as well as Assembly polls in Andhra Pradesh not far away, the party is under increasing pressure from its Telangana leaders to take a decision on the issue.
The state is divided on regional lines in the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16