Decision to allow FDI in retail taken under US pressure: CPI
Indore: Criticising the Congress-led UPA government for allowing Foreign Direct Investment in the retail sector, CPI on Sunday alleged the decision was taken under pressure from the US government and multinational companies.
"The permission for FDI in retail was given under pressure from Obama and the MNCs as they have influenced Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and his Cabinet," CPI National Secretary S Sudhakar Reddy told reporters at the Indore Press Club.
The CPI leader alleged, "It appears Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is not answerable to the people of India but to the US, World Bank and International Monetary Fund."
The decision has threatened employment of nearly two crore people, Reddy claimed.
He also criticised the Centre for raising prices of diesel and limiting the quota of subsidised LPG cylinders and warned that "Congress-led UPA government will have to pay the price for these anti-people measures".
About threat given by Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee to the UPA over the issue, he said earlier also she had issued such warnings. He alleged "there is match-fixing between Mamata and UPA".
The CPI leader said his party will take part in the bandh on September 20 to protest the recent measures announced by the government.
Referring to talks of forming the `Third Front`, he said the Left parties were not ready for it yet. He said SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav had already stated that it would come into existence after the 2014 general elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections