Decision to hike gas price suicidal: CPI
New Delhi: The CPI on Thursday termed as "suicidal" the government`s decision to hike prices of natural gas to near double from April 1, 2014, and said it will lead to a "dangerous situation of aggravating slowdown in the country and will further inflame the inflationary market".
It alleged the decision was taken "under pressure from a corporate house" and will lead to further increase in cost of industrial production and perpetuation of agricultural crisis.
"This is a diastrous decision. At least four cabinet members had opposed. Even a section of the bureaucracy was not in favour of giving in to the pressure of the corporate house," claimed CPI leader Gurudas Dasgupta.
He said that with the near doubling of gas prices from the present USD 4.2/mmBtu to 8.4/mmBtu, the total outgo is likely to be around 8 billion dollars in addition.
"Huge subsidy will be required to maintain the price of fertilizer, which government is unlikely to bear considering the present economic crisis, which means it will be passed on to consumers," Dasgupta said.
He said "farmers will receive a deadly blow, further leading to perpetuation of agricultural crisis. In the case of power, it will lead to an increase of more hike Rs 2 per unit and the subsidy will be a heavy burden on the state exchequer, because power subsidy is borne by a state government."
"It will increase the industrial cost of production, further aggravating the slowdown, likely to lead to increase in the power units and fertilizers prices and will further inflame the inflationary market," the CPI leader said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Pullela Gopichand is good, but we will find a better coach for PV Sindhu: Telangana deputy CM Mohammed Mahmood Ali
- Didn't have any confidence before 'Kick': Jacqueline Fernandez
- Oil Tankers Association calls off strike in Jammu ?
- French Chevalier award winner Kamal Haasan is Sivaji of our generation: Rajinikanth
- 'Mohenjo Daro' collections: Hrithik Roshan, Pooja Hegde's period drama rakes in Rs 55 cr so far!