Decision to swoop down at Ramlila political: Police
New Delhi: The decision to conduct the mid-night operation at Ramlila Maidan, the venue of Baba Ramdev`s hunger strike, was a "political" one, a top Delhi police official said here on Sunday.
The operation, which caught Ramdev and his supporters unaware, began after 1 am and it was almost over within couple of hours.
"It was a political decision. Otherwise we would not have carried out the operation although we had given permission only to hold Yoga camp and not an agitation," said the police official.
He said police tried to pursue Ramdev to leave the place peacefully but he did not heed to the request and instead asked his supporters not to leave the venue.
The official said followers of Ramdev had pelted stones at police personnel.
"We requested him to leave the place peacefully. But he did not listen to us. Then his supporters started pelting stones at us," said the official.
Earlier, police had blocked all the roads leading to Ramlila Maidan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’