Decline in Indian students coming to UK
London: The new student visa system in Britain, that was introduced to prevent abuse, has led to a decline in the number of students coming from India, but the overall number of international students has not changed, according to a Home Office minister.
"I accept there has been a decline in the number of students coming from India," Home Office minister of state Lord Henley said.
During a debate in the House of Lords yesterday, Labour peer Lord Judd has asked Lord Henley if he had looked at the evidence of what has happened to the number of students coming from India.
"The increase in the number of students coming from other parts of south-east Asia easily compensates for the decline from India," Lord Henley said.
"We are not seeing a decline in the overall number of students coming to universities. What we are seeing is a decline in the numbers of those who were coming here allegedly to study but using that as a way of getting round the immigration system," he said yesterday.
Stating that the controversial changes made to the student visa system were "quite right", the minister said "I am proud of it, and there has been no damage to United Kingdom universities as a result".
Lord Henley said that the changes were intended to "reform the student visa route".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof