Declined RS nomination due to current projects: Kakodkar
New Delhi: Eminent nuclear scientist Anil Kakodkar has declined Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s offer to become a nominated member of the Rajya Sabha.
Kakodkar, 68, considered as one of the architects of the landmark Indo-US civil nuclear agreement, cited his current engagements, including related to key government projects as the reason for declining the government offer.
"I am grateful to the Prime Minister for identifying me as for a nominated membership of the Rajya Sabha," the former Atomic Energy Commission Chairman said.
However, he said, rules would have required him to discontinue all the activities and projects that he was engaged with at present.
Reports had it that Kakodkar was recommended for being made a nominated member of the Rajya Sabha along with batting maestro Sachin Tendulkar and actor Rekha. When Kakodkar declined, industrialist Anu Aga was nominated.
"Many of the present activities are linked to several government programmes. So it was felt better that way. Besides, I enjoy all the activities I am engaged in," said Kakodkar, who is also the Chairman of the Board of Governors of IIT-Powai.
The eminent scientist has been named as Chairman of the Solar Energy Corporation of India and also head a number of committees ranging from higher education to railway safety.
Kakodkar is Member of the Atomic Energy Commission and also Homi Bhabha Chair Professor at the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC). He was the BARC director from 1996-2000 and Chairman Atomic Energy Commission from 2000-2009.
He was awarded the Padma Vibhushan in 2009, the Padma Bhushan in 1999 and the Padma Shri in 1998.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145