Def Min working on proposal for coastal radars
New Delhi: For augmenting capabilities to prevent any 26/11-type attacks, the Defence Ministry is planning set up 38 additional radars as part of Coastal Surveillance Network (CSN) at the cost of Rs 1,000 crore.
Under CSN, the Defence Ministry along with several other stakeholders is planning to set up a chain of static radars along the coastal areas to keep an eye on movement of suspicious ships.
"We are working on a Rs 1,000 crore proposal to set up 38 additional radars as part of the phase II of CSN along the coastline," highly-placed Defence Ministry sources said here.
A proposal in this regard would be ready in "next few days" and would be put up for approval of Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) headed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh very soon, they said.
Under CSN, Defence Minister A K Antony had recently inaugurated coastal radars in Gujarat and Maharashtra and another one has also started functioning in Kochi in Kerala.
The ministry is hopeful that phase-I of CSN would be completed by March next year and immediately after that, work on the phase II of the programme will be initiated.
Antony had said that with CSN, the Ministry aims to achieve near-gap-free electronic surveillance along the coastal areas.
After the 2008 terror attacks in Mumbai, the government has taken several measures to strengthen Coast Guard including doubling the maritime agency`s manpower and assets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends