Def Ministry probing leak of Howitzers` field trial report
New Delhi: The Defence Ministry has
launched an inquiry after receiving an anonymous envelope
containing four pages of leaked draft field trial report of
145 M777 Ultra-Light Howitzers to be procured for the army,
Rajya Sabha was informed on Wednesday.
In a written reply to the House, Defence Minister A K
Antony said, "An inquiry on this matter is under way.... Four
pages of draft field trial report have been received in an
anonymous envelope by the Army Headquarters."
The Army`s plans to acquire its first artillery gun in
nearly two and half decades after the Bofors scam and the guns
are being procured from the US through the Foreign Military
Sales (FMS) route.
On steps taken by government to prevent such
incidents, he said, "Detailed instructions exist on security
of classified documents. Aberrations, if any, are dealt with
as per the relevant rules."
The Court of Inquiry (CoI) under a three-star officer
is underway and will fix responsibilities as to how and from
where the trial report leaked and who were the officers
responsible for it.
Meanwhile, replying to another question on the missing
secret file on Medium-Multi Role Fighter Aircraft (M-MRCA)
deal, Minister of State for Defence M M Pallam Raju denied
that any sensitive information was compromised in the
"The file did not contain any information which was
sensitive. It contained requests of some companies with regard
to offset," he informed the House.
He said that a file relating to request of vendors
regarding offset was accidentally dropped by an officer in
Asiad Village where he was residing, at 2000 hours on December
"An inquiry was conducted by the Ministry into the
incident and officers responsible have been cautioned in
writing," Antony told the House.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India