Defeat in Karnataka civic body poll "alarming": BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Monday accepted its defeat in the local bodies elections in Karnataka is "alarming" and the party will introspect but claimed it will spring back in coming Assembly elections.
Asked about the party`s debacle in local bodies polls in the state, BJP spokesperson Shahnawaz Hussain said "we did not win in the local bodies elections.
We have lost and this is alarming. We will definitely introspect about it."
The BJP MP recited a poem by former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee to say that the party remains unfazed in the face of defeat and will strive to gain victory.
"In the assembly elections we will do well and we will win the elections," Hussain claimed.
Though BJP put up a brave front, sources said former Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa`s decision to form his Karnataka Janata Party had affected the party`s fortunes and led to its rout.
BJP leaders claimed the results show that had Yeddyurappa not quit the party, it would have emerged triumphant in these polls.
This poll outcome is likely to make BJP think about its future plans as assembly elections in Karnataka are just a couple of months away.
With senior party leader LK Advani having categorically expressed his opposition to Yeddyurappa and pulled up the party at its recent national conclave for not removing him promptly from the post of CM, BJP will find it difficult to forge and any pre or post-poll alliance with KJP.
Not having any electoral understanding with Yeddyurappa`s party is likely to see a repeat of the local bodies polls in the assembly elections as his candidates could cut into BJP votes and lead to the party`s ouster from power, said a party leader.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part II
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part III
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter - Part II
- Sad but true! Women in India earn 19% less than men, says report
- Jayalalithaa thanks Stalin for attending her swearing-in ceremony, says 'no intent to disrespect him or DMK'
- Snapdeal CPO Anand Chandrasekaran quits
- IT department to 'name and shame' crorepati defaulters this fiscal
- Father and son cut open a wasp's nest – Watch video to find out what's inside!