Defence forces ready to meet any challenge: PM
New Delhi: Months after the then Army Chief Gen V K Singh raised questions over the preparedness of his service, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Wednesday said the defence forces are ready to meet any challenge and their modernisation will continue.
"We have seen a lot of discussion in the recent months about role of our armed forces and their preparedness. Today I would like to reassure countrymen that our armed forces and paramilitary forces are prepared to face any challenge.
"Government will continue to work for modernising these forces and providing them with necessary technology and equipment," he said in his Independence Day address here.
In March, Gen Singh had written a secret letter to the Prime Minister highlighting critical shortage of tank ammunition and obsolescence of the air defence systems in the Army.
The letter later found its way in the media and since then the Defence Ministry has taken several steps to plug the shortages faced by the forces.
"I would like to emphasise here that our armed forces and paramilitary forces have defended the security of our country during both war and peace with valour and honour. Our soldiers have made the biggest of sacrifices, whenever needed," the Prime Minister said.
Thanking the security forces for guarding the frontiers bravely, Singh said the government will continue to make efforts for their welfare.
The Prime Minister lauded DRDO for the successful launch of over 5,000 km-range Agni-V missile which made India join an elite club of nations possessing such long range weapon systems.
"I would like to congratulate our scientists and technologists who have enhanced our prestige by successfully testing the Agni V Missile," Singh said.
On the pay and pension anomaly issues raised by the armed forces, the Prime Minister said the government will take "prompt action" after receiving recommendations of a high- level committee set up in this regard.
The committee set up under Cabinet Secretary Ajit Seth was supposed to submit its report to the Prime Minister by August 8 but it has been delayed. The Services have also demanded their representation in the six-member panel comprising only IAS officers.
"This committee will also look into matters concerning pension of retired men and officers and family pension being paid to their families. We will take prompt action on recommendations of the committee, once they are received," he said.
The main issues being looked into by the committee include the elevation of all Lt Gen-rank officers into a higher pay scale, increased family pension and `one rank one pension` (OROP) demand of the ex-servicemen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks