Defence Ministry clears purchase of military items
New Delhi: The Defence Ministry on Wednesday cleared proposals worth over Rs 1,500 crore for procurement of various systems including Israeli anti-missile radars for the Navy`s warships.
The proposals cleared by the Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) headed by Defence Minister AK Antony include approval for the procurement of Anti-missile Doppler Radar (AMDR) from Israel for around Rs 300 crore, Navy sources said here today.
The radar would be deployed with the weapon systems on-board naval ships to protect them from enemy missiles, they said.
The apex decision-making body of the Ministry also cleared the proposal for establishing repair facilities in collaboration with Russian firms for armament of submarines of the Navy, they said.
The submarines in the Indian fleet are of Russian-origin and the weapon systems fitted on them are also mainly from that country only.
The DAC also approved a proposal worth over Rs 850 crore for setting up Mobile Communication System for the Army formations deployed in Jammu and Kashmir.
The system would enable the Corps operating there to communicate with each other through a dedicated network, the sources said.
The communication system would be developed by public sector undertaking Bharat Electronics Limited.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble