Defence Ministry consults CBI on BEML issue
New Delhi: The Defence Ministry is consulting the CBI on a plea for reinstatement by suspended BEML chief VRS Natarajan who has refuted corruption and other charges against him.
Defence Minister AK Antony had suspended Natarajan in June in connection with the Tatra case after CBI recommended this for carrying out a fair probe in the case.
"We have received a representation from the suspended BEML chief for his reinstatement. The Ministry will take a decision in this regard in consultation with the CBI," sources in the Department of Defence Production told PTI here.
Natarajan`s tenure is scheduled to end on September 30. The Government had put the BEML CMD under suspension following a recommendation by the CBI that he should be kept away from the post to ensure fair investigations into the charges of corruption in procurement of Tatra trucks for the armed forces.
The charge of CMD has been given to P Dwarkanath, the senior most functional Director in BEML. The CBI is currently investigating into various charges against Natarajan.
Gen Singh, who retired on May 31 after holding the post of the Army Chief for over two years, had alleged in March that he was offered a Rs 14 crore bribe by a former officer to clear supply of a tranche of 600 Tatra trucks from BEML.
On June 1, a day after Gen Singh retired from office, the BEML Chief had held a press conference in Bangalore asking the former army chief to apologise for alleged "defamatory" statements against the company and its products.
The Ministry had also sought a clarification from him on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read