Defence Ministry consults CBI on BEML issue
New Delhi: The Defence Ministry is consulting the CBI on a plea for reinstatement by suspended BEML chief VRS Natarajan who has refuted corruption and other charges against him.
Defence Minister AK Antony had suspended Natarajan in June in connection with the Tatra case after CBI recommended this for carrying out a fair probe in the case.
"We have received a representation from the suspended BEML chief for his reinstatement. The Ministry will take a decision in this regard in consultation with the CBI," sources in the Department of Defence Production told PTI here.
Natarajan`s tenure is scheduled to end on September 30. The Government had put the BEML CMD under suspension following a recommendation by the CBI that he should be kept away from the post to ensure fair investigations into the charges of corruption in procurement of Tatra trucks for the armed forces.
The charge of CMD has been given to P Dwarkanath, the senior most functional Director in BEML. The CBI is currently investigating into various charges against Natarajan.
Gen Singh, who retired on May 31 after holding the post of the Army Chief for over two years, had alleged in March that he was offered a Rs 14 crore bribe by a former officer to clear supply of a tranche of 600 Tatra trucks from BEML.
On June 1, a day after Gen Singh retired from office, the BEML Chief had held a press conference in Bangalore asking the former army chief to apologise for alleged "defamatory" statements against the company and its products.
The Ministry had also sought a clarification from him on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional