Defence Ministry firms up new procurement policy
New Delhi: Stung by scams in acquisition from foreign vendors, the Defence Ministry on Saturday finalised a new procurement policy under which Indian public and private sector will be given first priority for military procurements and will help in plugging loopholes that allow corruption.
To avoid scams such as the AgustaWestland chopper deal and enhance transparency, the Ministry also approved a proposal under which Services headquarters would be required to freeze specifications of the desired products before they are approved by the Defence Acquisition Council (DAC).
The new changes in the policy will also end the virtual monopoly of the PSUs and ordnance factories in the defence sector as they will not be automatically nominated for maintenance and repair of systems procured from abroad as the private firms will be allowed to take part in these contracts.
"Preference for indigenous procurement has now been made a part of DPP through an amendment that provides for a preferred order of categorisation, with global cases being a choice of last resort. The first option would be to buy from India followed by `buy and make India`," the Defence Ministry said here.
Under the second category, private and public sector firms can tie up with foreign vendors and produce the equipment required by the armed forces within the country.
The meeting of the DAC headed by Defence Minister A K Antony also made it mandatory for the armed forces to explain to the Ministry that why they are not preferring to buy from Indian sources or excluding the higher category, the ministry said.
The other three categories include `Buy and make with Transfer of Technology`, `Make` and the last option of buying the equipment from foreign vendors directly under the `Buy (global) category.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp