Defence Ministry mulls steps to check corruption in weapon acquisitions
New Delhi: Stung by various scams in military purchases, the Defence Ministry is considering various moves such as inclusion of the Central Vigilance Commission (CVC) in the procurement process and creation of a new body to check on corruption in weapon acquisitions.
Besides taking various steps to strengthen the Defence Procurement Procedure to plug loopholes in the process, Defence Ministry is considering moves such as creation of a body on the lines of the Enforcement Directorate (ED) to check corruption in procurements, sources said here.
The Ministry is also considering a move to include anti-corruption agencies such as the Central Vigilance Commission (CVC) in the procurement procedure to check corruption before the finalisation of any deal, they said.
At present also, the CVC gets involved to check the fairness of procurement procedures if the Government gets any complaint from any source regarding corruption in any defence deal.
However, sources said a final decision on the moves under consideration would be taken after due deliberations by the Ministry in consultation with all the stake-holders including the Services headquarters, they said.
After the VVIP chopper scam, Defence Minister A K Antony has taken serious steps to check corruption and has also decided to give a major thrust to indigenisation to avoid procurements from abroad.
The steps include giving the first right of refusal to Indian industries in procurement for any weapon system and ensuring a level-playing field for the Indian private and public sector industry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks