Defence Ministry not getting adequate funds: Antony
New Delhi: The country`s bad economic condition appears to have hit the Defence Ministry with AK Antony on Thursday ruing that it was not getting adequate funds for modernisation of the armed forces.
"In view of the present economic situation, we are not getting adequate funds as per our expectations. The entire budget of the Ministry is being spent. There are many proposals in the pipeline," he said.
The Defence Minister said those days were gone when Defence Ministry could not utilise all the allocated funds contrary to the current situation when no fund was refunded.
"We are not returning a single paisa. But, we are not getting the expected fund," he said.
The Defence Minister, who was giving clarification during a debate on August 14 INS Sindhurakshak accident in Rajya Sabha, said additional funds would be sought from the government after the armed forces have exhausted their allocated capital acquisition funds for the present fiscal.
On plans to get more submarines for the Navy after the loss of the Sindhurakshak, he said six submarines were being constructed at the Mazagon Dockyards Limited and sanction for six more was in advanced stages of being cleared.
Of the budget of over Rs 2.03 lakh crore, over Rs 86,000 crore have been earmarked for modernisation, which is more than Rs 40,000 crore short of the projected demand of the ministry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016