Defence Ministry orders probe into INS Kolkata mishap
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: A day after a mishap on advanced warship INS Kolkata at the Mazagaon Docks Ltd (MDL) here, the Defence Ministry on Saturday ordered a probe into the incident.
It was the second major incident affecting the Indian Navy in a fortnight.
An officer was killed and a worker injured after inhaling carbon dioxide gas leaking from a cylinder on the warship, which was being outfitted at the MDL last afternoon.
The leak is believed to have occurred after a cylinder accidently opened and reportedly hit the victim, Commander Kunal Wadhwa, 42, around 12.45 pm.
Wadhwa, a resident of Colaba in south Mumbai, was pronounced dead at the state-run St George Hospital.
Another MDL worker, Aslam G Kazi, 51, a resident of suburban Malad, has been admitted to private hospital in Mazagaon.
Kazi, a worker in the MDL was passing by the area when he inhaled the gas and felt suffocated, but he had not registered any complaint against the MDL.
The police official said that the vessel was anchored in the Mumbai Port Trust for testing its fire-fighting equipment when CO2 got released from a hatch when the bottle neck opened accidentally and the rushing gas hit the commander who was present there.
The 7,000-tonne vessel, the lead ship of the Kolkata class of guided-missile destroyers and designated Yard 701, was undergoing trials when the tragedy struck.
It will be inducted into the Indian Navy as INS Kolkata later this month as per schedule, Friday`s tragedy notwithstanding, MDL officials said.
MDL is India`s premier shipyard and manufactures warships, submarines, offshore platforms, tankers, passenger ships and support vessels for the Indian Navy and also private sector.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured