Defence Ministry orders probe into INS Kolkata mishap
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: A day after a mishap on advanced warship INS Kolkata at the Mazagaon Docks Ltd (MDL) here, the Defence Ministry on Saturday ordered a probe into the incident.
It was the second major incident affecting the Indian Navy in a fortnight.
An officer was killed and a worker injured after inhaling carbon dioxide gas leaking from a cylinder on the warship, which was being outfitted at the MDL last afternoon.
The leak is believed to have occurred after a cylinder accidently opened and reportedly hit the victim, Commander Kunal Wadhwa, 42, around 12.45 pm.
Wadhwa, a resident of Colaba in south Mumbai, was pronounced dead at the state-run St George Hospital.
Another MDL worker, Aslam G Kazi, 51, a resident of suburban Malad, has been admitted to private hospital in Mazagaon.
Kazi, a worker in the MDL was passing by the area when he inhaled the gas and felt suffocated, but he had not registered any complaint against the MDL.
The police official said that the vessel was anchored in the Mumbai Port Trust for testing its fire-fighting equipment when CO2 got released from a hatch when the bottle neck opened accidentally and the rushing gas hit the commander who was present there.
The 7,000-tonne vessel, the lead ship of the Kolkata class of guided-missile destroyers and designated Yard 701, was undergoing trials when the tragedy struck.
It will be inducted into the Indian Navy as INS Kolkata later this month as per schedule, Friday`s tragedy notwithstanding, MDL officials said.
MDL is India`s premier shipyard and manufactures warships, submarines, offshore platforms, tankers, passenger ships and support vessels for the Indian Navy and also private sector.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH