Defence Ministry planning to put an end to single-vendor tenders
New Delhi: Seeking to avoid allegations of favouritism and scams in acquisitions, the Defence Ministry is planning to put an end to single-vendor tenders and is expected to issue directions to the Services headquarters soon in this regard.
The Ministry is considering formulation of a policy in this regard and it is expected to be reflected in the forthcoming new version of the Defence Procurement Procedure, which will be given out shortly, sources said here.
The Services headquarters are expected to be intimated by the Defence Ministry about its policy soon, they said.
The Ministry had recently asked the Army in a meeting of the Defence Acquisition Council to avoid a single-vendor tender for procuring third generation anti-tank missiles from Israel and look for other sources also who could offer the weapon system for the force.
The new policy is part of efforts to enhance transparency in weapon procurement through the import route and is now not inclined much towards the single-vendor tenders, wanting fair competition between arms suppliers for any acquisition, they said.
Earlier also, the Ministry had been avoiding single- vendor situations in weapon procurement and there were cases where it scrapped the whole tender where only one vendor was found meeting requirements of the Request for Proposal.
One such case was the procurement of VVIP helicopters for the IAF in 2002-03 when Eurocopter had emerged as the only vendor capable of flying at heights above 18,000 feet.
In another case, the IAF scrapped its tender for re-engining Jaguar deep penetration strike aircrafts when only Honeywell responded to its RFP.
However, the force is pursuing a single-vendor tender with the American firm in absence of other players willing to offer their products.
In some cases, where procurement of certain equipments is very essential, the Ministry also opts for government-to -government deals with countries such as the US, Russia and Israel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in