Defence Ministry to cancel DRDO`s Tatra truck order
New Delhi: The Defence Ministry is planning to cancel the BEML order, worth over Rs 50 lakh, given to UK-based Tatra Sipox for supplying one truck, in the wake of the CBI probe into the allegations of irregularities in the supply of these vehicles.
The order for the truck was placed by BEML in May for the Defence Research and Development Organisation.
The Ministry is planing to cancel the order worth over Rs 50 lakh placed by BEML with the UK-based Tatra Sipox, sources said here.
When asked about the development, Defence Ministry`s Department of Defence Production refused to comment on it.
BEML had written a letter to Tatra Sipox in May this year seeking urgent delivery of a Tatra truck for around Euro 88,000 (over Rs 50 lakh).
The tie-up between BEML and UK-based Tatra Sipox for supplying Tatra trucks to the Indian forces has been under the scanner after former Army Chief Gen V K Singh alleged that he was offered a bribe of Rs 14 crore for clearing a file for procuring over 600 such vehicles.
After the allegations came to light on March 27, Defence Minister A K Antony ordered a CBI inquiry into the allegations.
BEML`s Chairman and Managing Director V R S Natarajan has also been removed out of his office by the Ministry for ensuring a free and fair probe into the charges.
BEML and Tatra have supplied more than 6,000 such heavy- duty trucks to the armed forces and the DRDO for carrying missiles and other heavy systems.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed