Defence Ministry to take up with EC Army Chief`s pic on BJP poll poster
New Delhi: On the request of the Army, the Defence Ministry is on Wednesday expected to take up with the Election Commission the issue of a photograph of Army Chief Gen Bikram Singh used on a BJP poll poster in Madhya Pradesh.
The photograph showed Gen Singh saluting martyrs in Jammu along with two other senior officers.
The Army request has been received and the issue is expected to be taken up with the Election Commission tomorrow (Wednesday), Defence Ministry sources said here.
The Army wants its sentiments to be conveyed to political parties, they said.
Congress has already sought derecognition of BJP in the wake of the advertisement issued by it in poll-bound Madhya Pradesh, saying the national flag and the photo of the Army Chief have been "misused".
Party spokesman Meem Afzal had said the AICC has approached the Election Commission over the advertisement which gives a "negative" image of Congress.
The complaint was against Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan and state BJP chief Narendra Singh Tomar.
Afzal alleged that BJP was seeking to drag the Army chief in politics by using his photo.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?