Defence Ministry welcomes SC order on age row
New Delhi: Defence Ministry on Friday welcomed the Supreme Court order upholding its decision on Army Chief General VK Singh`s date of birth, saying the matter has been finally put to rest.
"We are happy that the issue has been finally resolved and controversy put to rest," Defence Ministry spokesperson Sitanshu Kar said soon after the apex court delivered its judgement, saying Singh cannot resile on his commitment accepting the date of birth as May 10, 1950.
Gen Singh had dragged the government to the Supreme Court last month after the Ministry rejected the plea that his date of birth should be considered as May 10, 1951 instead of May 10, 1950 which is in Army records.
The apex court said it was not in favour of entertaining Gen Singh`s petition that his date of birth should be treated in official records as May 10,1951 and gave him option of withdrawing it.
Following the apex court`s observations, Gen Singh withdrew his petition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015