Defence Ministry welcomes SC order on age row
New Delhi: Defence Ministry on Friday welcomed the Supreme Court order upholding its decision on Army Chief General VK Singh`s date of birth, saying the matter has been finally put to rest.
"We are happy that the issue has been finally resolved and controversy put to rest," Defence Ministry spokesperson Sitanshu Kar said soon after the apex court delivered its judgement, saying Singh cannot resile on his commitment accepting the date of birth as May 10, 1950.
Gen Singh had dragged the government to the Supreme Court last month after the Ministry rejected the plea that his date of birth should be considered as May 10, 1951 instead of May 10, 1950 which is in Army records.
The apex court said it was not in favour of entertaining Gen Singh`s petition that his date of birth should be treated in official records as May 10,1951 and gave him option of withdrawing it.
Following the apex court`s observations, Gen Singh withdrew his petition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Counting underway - Big prestige battle for BJP and Shiv Sena
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Election Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena marches ahead in Mumbai, but BJP gains lead in Pune, Nashik