Definition of rape not being diluted, says Chidambaram
New Delhi: Rejecting suggestions that
government was diluting the definition of rape, Home Minister
P Chidambaram Tuesday said moves were afoot to widen the term to
include all kinds of sexual assault.
"We are not going to dilute the definition of rape. The
definition of rape will be widened to include all kinds of
sexual assaults," he said replying to supplementaries during
The suggestion to make sexual assault gender neutral was
made by a high-powered committee headed by Home Secretary
G K Pillai a few days back.
A similar recommendation was also made in a report of the
Law Commission, Chidambaram said adding the Home Ministry
would soon bring a bill in this regard.
Making sexual assault "gender neutral" will imply that the
relevant sections of IPC can be slapped on accused of any
gender who has committed the crime.
As per Section 375 of IPC, penetration is sufficient to
constitute sexual intercourse necessary to the offence of rape
but with the proposed replacements coming in, sexual assault
will also cover crimes like sodomy, insertion of foreign
object and other similar offences which do not come under the
present definition of rape.
To a question on harassment of `in-laws` in case of dowry
deaths, Chidambaram said instructions have been issued to
arrest only those who are directly involved in the case and
not the extended family.
The House witnessed some lighter moments when DMK leader T
R Baalu sought figures from the government on the number of
"greedy mothers-in-law" convicted in dowry-related cases.
However, Chidambaram said it would be difficult to give
the requested figures.
The Home Minister said according to National Crime Records
Bureau 8172 cases of dowry deaths were registered in 2008,
while chargesheets were filed in 6700 cases. As many as 5814
persons were convicted.
According to the figures submitted, 7618 dowry death cases
were registered in 2006 of which chargesheets were filed in
6220 cases and 5144 persons were convicted.
In 2007, 8093 cases were registered, 7048 chargesheets
filed and 5580 persons convicted.
To a question, Chidambaram said the ministry was working
on defining honour killings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'