Definition of rape not being diluted, says Chidambaram
New Delhi: Rejecting suggestions that
government was diluting the definition of rape, Home Minister
P Chidambaram Tuesday said moves were afoot to widen the term to
include all kinds of sexual assault.
"We are not going to dilute the definition of rape. The
definition of rape will be widened to include all kinds of
sexual assaults," he said replying to supplementaries during
The suggestion to make sexual assault gender neutral was
made by a high-powered committee headed by Home Secretary
G K Pillai a few days back.
A similar recommendation was also made in a report of the
Law Commission, Chidambaram said adding the Home Ministry
would soon bring a bill in this regard.
Making sexual assault "gender neutral" will imply that the
relevant sections of IPC can be slapped on accused of any
gender who has committed the crime.
As per Section 375 of IPC, penetration is sufficient to
constitute sexual intercourse necessary to the offence of rape
but with the proposed replacements coming in, sexual assault
will also cover crimes like sodomy, insertion of foreign
object and other similar offences which do not come under the
present definition of rape.
To a question on harassment of `in-laws` in case of dowry
deaths, Chidambaram said instructions have been issued to
arrest only those who are directly involved in the case and
not the extended family.
The House witnessed some lighter moments when DMK leader T
R Baalu sought figures from the government on the number of
"greedy mothers-in-law" convicted in dowry-related cases.
However, Chidambaram said it would be difficult to give
the requested figures.
The Home Minister said according to National Crime Records
Bureau 8172 cases of dowry deaths were registered in 2008,
while chargesheets were filed in 6700 cases. As many as 5814
persons were convicted.
According to the figures submitted, 7618 dowry death cases
were registered in 2006 of which chargesheets were filed in
6220 cases and 5144 persons were convicted.
In 2007, 8093 cases were registered, 7048 chargesheets
filed and 5580 persons convicted.
To a question, Chidambaram said the ministry was working
on defining honour killings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla