Delayed projects to cost exchequer additional Rs 54,717 cr
New Delhi: The government on Thursday said that
delay in implementation of 598 large projects would cost the exchequer an additional Rs 54,717 crore.
"According to an analysis of 598 central government
projects, costing over Rs 100 crore, by Ministry of Statistics
and Programme Implementation (MOSPI), the cost these projects
has been revised from Rs 5,43,649 crore to Rs 5,98,366 crore,"
Minister of State for Planning V Narayanasamy told the Rajya
Sabha in a written reply to a question.
"The delay (in implementation of projects) would result
in an additional government spending of Rs 54,717 crore," he
About whether the Committee of Infrastructure under the
Planning Commission has taken a decision for not giving its
nod to a project until 70 per cent of the land required for
that is acquired, he replied that there was no such decision.
He said that the MOSPI analysis pointed out the factors
responsible for the slow progress of projects like funds,
constraints, problem in acquiring land, environment
clearances, raw material price rise and other.
The MOSPO made several suggestions like government should
adopt a two-stage clearance system and stricter appraisal of
the projects before investment approval and approval of the
project only after fully tie up for funds, the minister added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?