Deletion of Constitutional provision; SC asks govt
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Friday asked the Centre to respond to a plea seeking deletion of a provision in the Constitution that treats Sikhs, Jains and Buddhists as Hindus for all legal purposes.
A bench headed by Chief Justice Altamas Kabir issued a notice to the Ministry of Law and Justice on a petition that sought implementation of the report of the National Commission to Review the Working of the Constitution.
The panel headed by Justice M N Venketchallaiah had, in its report to the Prime Minister on March 31, 2002, suggested deletion of Explanation II of the Article 25 (freedom of conscience and free profession, practice and propagation of religion) of the Constitution.
"...The reference Hindus shall be construed as including a reference to persons professing Sikh, Jaina or Buddhist religion and the reference to Hindu religious institutions shall be construed accordingly," the Explanation II of Article 25 reads.
The plea, filed by Delhi resident Arvinder Kaur, said the provision is in violation of the basic philosophy of the Constitution as it curtails the identity of people belonging to Sikh, Jaina or Buddhist religion by not recognising them as a separate religion and treating them as Hindus.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another