Delhi acid victim`s condition deteriorating
Mumbai: The condition of Preeti Rathi, the young New Delhi woman targeted in an acid attack May 2 on the day she arrived here to take up a nurse`s job, is deteriorating with the acid eating into her insides, her distraught family said on Thursday.
Acid was flung on Preeti, 25, by some unknown people as she got off from the New Delhi-Mumbai Garib Rath Express at Bandra Terminus on May 2 morning to take up her job as a nurse in the army hospital here.
"She has been put on ventilator as her breathing organs have been damaged. The right lung has collapsed and the left lung is partly functioning," her father Amar Singh Rathi told a news agency.
Bombay Hospital medicos attending to her have said the acid entered her oesophagus, windpipe and trachea and Preeti is now on a lung-support machine.
Rathi said the priority was now to keep her alive and they were praying for her early recovery.
The anguished father last week wrote to Maharashtra Home Minister RR Patil and state Director General of Police Sanjeev Dayal demanding that the probe into the acid attack case on his daughter be taken away from the Government Railway Police (GRP).
"We want it to be handed over to either the state Crime Investigation Department of Central Bureau of Investigation as the GRP are not investigating it properly," Rathi said.
He alleged that the GRP had arrested a wrong person and had yet to track down the real culprit responsible for the brutal attack on his daughter.
The family is presently living in accommodation arranged by the Shiv Sena. The Indian Railways has agreed to foot all her medical expenses.
For the last three weeks, Rathi, his wife, their son and two nephews have been on constant vigil by Preeti`s bedside as she battles for life.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!