Delhi all set to get its first heliport
New Delhi: A mega heliport at Rohini in north Delhi and a helipad for the Commonwealth Games (CWG) being built by state-run Pawan Hans Helicopter Limited (PHHL) will be operational by mid-September. After the games, the heliport will be used for chopper travel within the region, promoting travel and tourism, and generating business.
"The CWG helipad at the Games village is almost complete and only a few finishing touches are being given to it, while the heliport at Rohini will be completed by mid-September," PHHL Chairman and Managing Director RK Tyagi said.
In 2009, the Delhi government and the civil aviation ministry had decided on building the heliport and the helipad.
"Both the facilities will be ready by mid-September and will serve the mega event. Choppers will be parked at Rohini and then fly people in and out of the the CWG village to other places," Tyagi said.
PHHL has paid Rs.19.5 crore to acquire the 25-acre plot in Rohini. It is spending Rs.45 crore for building the chopper facility.
According to the company, the Rohini heliport would cover helicopter operations, maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) and a training academy for pilots and technical staff.
"The Rohini heliport will be a state-of-the-art feeder hub centre. It will have helicopter maintenance facilities, parking facilities for other helicopter operators. A business centre will also come up," Tyagi said about the added amenities at the port.
The helipad at the Games village would be exclusively used to transport athletes, VIPs and officials to 15 sporting venues, avoiding traffic jams in the city.
"The helipad would be used as a primary hub centre from where helicopters would operate during the day. In the evening, they would be back at the feeder hub centre at Rohini," Tyagi added.
According to PHHL, the choppers would be using a separate flight corridor to ensure that the air traffic at the IGI airport is not disrupted.
Currently, the company plans to deploy two medium-size choppers with a capacity to carry 10 people each.
After the Games, PHHL expects the heliport to improve Delhi`s connectivity with the nearby cities and towns.
"The heliport will provide better connectivity, easy and convenience for chopper travel within this region. It will also promote travel and tourism and generate business opportunities," Tyagi further added.
Heliports have become a part of many cities in the world, providing easy mobility. Currently, Safdarjung airport is being used by VVIPs for their chopper flights. But others such as corporate heads, who want to take a chopper flight, have had to wait for long at the IGI airport as priority is given to passenger aircraft.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced