Delhi bids farewell to Goddess Durga
New Delhi: The Bengali community in the
capital celebrated the culmination of Durga Puja in grand
fervour as they bid farewell to the Goddess on the final day
of the festivity, immersing idols in rivers across the city.
Chanting "Bolo Durga Mai Ki, Jai", people took the
giant idols of Goddess Durga from puja venues to the banks of
Yamuna and immersed it after offering prayers.
Special rituals were performed in front of the idols
of the Goddess and her four children before they were taken to
the banks of Yamuna for immersion.
Various puja venues across the city, including the
famous ones in Chittaranjan Park and Karol Bagh, saw large
number of people queue up to seek the blessings of the Goddess
Adequate number of policemen were deployed across the
city to streamline the rush of devotees who were headed
towards river banks to immerse the idols.
A large number of policemen were also spotted at river
The ceremony before the immersion led to traffic
snarls in many areas, including Kalindi Kunj, Wazirpur and C R
Park. A senior police official said the traffic on Ring Road
from Wazirpur to Rajghat was affected due to the procession
taken out for the immersion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?