Delhi BJP for Big B to be main brand ambassador of CWG
New Delhi: Amid a row over objections by
Congress workers in Maharashtra to the presence of Amitabh
Bachchan at a government function, a senior BJP leader today
proposed that the megastar be made the main brand ambassador
of the Commonwealth Games in October.
BJP leader V K Malhotra shot off a letter to Chairman
of Commonwealth Games Organising Committee Suresh Kalmadi,
saying that Bachchan should be appointed as the main brand
ambassador of the sporting event as he is an "icon for the
Malhotra is senior Vice President of the Indian Olympic
Association and an executive board member of the Commonwealth
Games Organising Committee.
"I suggest that Amitabh Bachchan should be appointed as
the main brand ambassador of the Commonwealth Games. Bachchan
represents the best of India`s mid-age generation and is an
icon for the youngsters. He was the brand ambassador of Delhi
Asiad, in which he lent his voice and anchored the opening
ceremony," Malhotra wrote in his letter.
Malhotra`s request comes barely days after a row over
Bachchan attending a government function in Mumbai where
Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan was also present.
Congress workers in Maharashtra objected to the actor`s
presence on the dias with Chavan as he is the brand ambassador
for BJP-ruled Gujarat.
"I strongly feel that Shri Bachchan be given this
honour again. Organising Committee of the Games has already
made some brand ambassadors and some more are going to be
appointed very soon," he said in the letter.
Malhotra said, however, only those cine stars and
sports persons should be appointed who have a clean image and
are prepared to do the job without asking for any honorarium.
He also noted that appointment of brand ambassadors for
the prestigious event would be "very crucial" as they will be
looked upon as the "best and the brightest of the country."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’