Delhi braveheart’s body arrives in India
New Delhi: The body of the 23-year-old Delhi gang-rape victim arrived in India at wee hours of the morning on Sunday. It had been flown to the Indian capital shortly after midnight from Singapore where she had died in a super- speciality hospital.
The body was ferried to Delhi in a chartered Air India plane AIC-380A that took off around 12:30 AM local time (10:00 PM IST), Indian High Commission officials said.
The girl, who was shifted here on December 27 from the Safdarjung Hospital in Delhi, breathed her last at 4:45 AM (2:15 AM IST), at Singapore`s Mount Elizabeth Hospital, where she was treated.
On the chartered plane, sent here by the Indian government, were her family members who have been in Singapore since the girl was brought to the hospital here in an extremely critical condition.
The victim, who underwent three surgeries at Safdarjung Hospital, was gang-raped and brutally assaulted on December 16 by six men in a moving bus in Delhi. The assault had damaged her internal organs. She also suffered a cardiac arrest and brain injury.
"We are very sad to report that the patient passed away peacefully at 4.45 AM on 29 Dec 2012 (Singapore time)," the Singapore hospital`s Chief Executive Officer Dr Kelvin Loh said in a statement.
"Her family and officials from the High Commission of India were by her side. The Mount Elizabeth Hospital team of doctors, nurses and staff join her family in mourning her loss," the statement said.
Indian High Commissioner TCA Raghavan told reporters that the girl, who was conscious, fought a brave battle till the end.
He said the final few hours was a trying time for the girl`s family and they bore the entire process with a great deal of fortitude and courage.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents