Delhi braveheart’s family moves SC seeking criminal trial for juvenile
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The family of the 2012 Delhi gang-rape victim has filed a petition in the Supreme Court seeking fresh trial for the juvenile in a criminal court.
The juvenile, who was said to be the most brutal of the six attackers, was awarded three-year sentence for the rape and murder of ‘Nirbhaya’ by the juvenile justice board (JJB).
The family is completely dissatisfied over the 17-year-old accused getting away with a lighter sentence for such a heinous crime.
Earlier, too, when the verdict was announced, the family of ‘Nirbhaya’ had expressed dissatisfaction over the Juvenile Justice Board`s verdict in the case with the father demanding death for the minor accused who has got away with three years imprisonment.
The other four convicts in December 16 gang-rape and murder case were awarded death penalty by a Delhi court in September.
Earlier, the victim’s family demands nothing less than capital punishment, the convicts -- Mukesh (26), Akshay Thakur (28), Pawan Gupta (19) and Vinay Sharma (20).
On the night of December 16, last year, Ram Singh, Vinay, Akshay, Pawan, Mukesh and the juvenile had gang-raped the girl in a bus after luring her and her 28-year-old male friend, who was also assaulted, on board the vehicle, which was later found to be plying illegally on Delhi roads.
The victim’s friend, a software engineer, suffered fractures in his limbs in the incident. The girl succumbed to her injuries on December 29, 2012 at a Singapore hospital.
The incident shook the nation’s conscience and sparked massive protests. It prompted a number of steps by the Centre and the Delhi government to ensure safety of women, curb such incidents and facilitate quick disposal of cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy