Delhi braveheart’s family moves SC seeking criminal trial for juvenile
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The family of the 2012 Delhi gang-rape victim has filed a petition in the Supreme Court seeking fresh trial for the juvenile in a criminal court.
The juvenile, who was said to be the most brutal of the six attackers, was awarded three-year sentence for the rape and murder of ‘Nirbhaya’ by the juvenile justice board (JJB).
The family is completely dissatisfied over the 17-year-old accused getting away with a lighter sentence for such a heinous crime.
Earlier, too, when the verdict was announced, the family of ‘Nirbhaya’ had expressed dissatisfaction over the Juvenile Justice Board`s verdict in the case with the father demanding death for the minor accused who has got away with three years imprisonment.
The other four convicts in December 16 gang-rape and murder case were awarded death penalty by a Delhi court in September.
Earlier, the victim’s family demands nothing less than capital punishment, the convicts -- Mukesh (26), Akshay Thakur (28), Pawan Gupta (19) and Vinay Sharma (20).
On the night of December 16, last year, Ram Singh, Vinay, Akshay, Pawan, Mukesh and the juvenile had gang-raped the girl in a bus after luring her and her 28-year-old male friend, who was also assaulted, on board the vehicle, which was later found to be plying illegally on Delhi roads.
The victim’s friend, a software engineer, suffered fractures in his limbs in the incident. The girl succumbed to her injuries on December 29, 2012 at a Singapore hospital.
The incident shook the nation’s conscience and sparked massive protests. It prompted a number of steps by the Centre and the Delhi government to ensure safety of women, curb such incidents and facilitate quick disposal of cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery