Delhi car bomb: Lebanese students under scanner
New Delhi: Two days after a bomb attack on an Israeli embassy car in the heart of national capital left a woman diplomat seriously wounded, the intelligence agencies have now directed their probe to determine a possible Lebanon connection to the incident.
In view of the known Iran-Israel hostility, the investigators probing the incident have now focused their probe on Lebanese students residing in the national capital to determine if they are, even remotely, connected to Lebanon-based terror outfit Hezbollah.
The security agencies are trying to verify the vital info, which they have reportedly received from Israel, about 50 suspicious Iranian and Lebanese nationals, who might be living in disguise of student to carry out such attacks.
Therefore, the security officials are maintaining a close vigil at all places including hostels and residential colonies where Lebanese students reside.
Hours after the attack on its diplomats in India and Georgia, the Israelis accused Iran and Lebanon-based terror outfit Hezbollah for the assault. However, Iran later vehemently denied the accusations.
What has prompted the investigators to probe the Lebanese angle is the viewpoint held by Israelis that the assault on its diplomats could be handiwork of Iranians, who may be engaged in a tit-for-tat.
It is widely believed across the world that Israeli agents carried out repeated limpet mine attacks against Iranian nuclear scientists in Tehran, killing a few crucial figures. These strikes initially seemed mysterious but international experts eventually zeroed in on Israel, which aims to thwart Iran’s nuclear ambitions.
Hence, the Indian investigators have reasons to believe that Iran or Hezbollah may be involved in the attack on Israeli diplomats in the two countries.
Although, the investigators have no proof yet to name any country or foreign terror group for the attack, they are not ruling out any possibility.
Importantly, the forensic report regarding the incident has also been sent to the Home Ministry.
Meanwhile, the forensic experts from Israeli spy agency Mossad are also expected to arrive in the country today to assist their Indian counterpart in probing the incident.
As a precautionary measure, Delhi police have called for an urgent review of security arrangements in highly protected zones and the security cover given to VVIPs.
Addressing a press conference yesterday, Union Home Minister P Chidambaram said that Monday’s attack on an Israeli embassy car was carried out using a bomb with a magnetic base.
Later, Union Home Secretary RK Singh said there was no evidence to suggest involvement of any country in the bomb attack on an Israeli diplomat here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview