Delhi car bomb was remote-controlled: Sources
New Delhi: A day after an Israeli embassy car was targeted here in a terror attack blamed on Iran and its "proxy" Hezbollah by Tel Aviv, the Indian government has convened a high-level meeting on Tuesday to assess the situation.
Also, sleuths of Israeli spy agency, Mossad have arrived in the national capital to assist in the probe into the car bomb that injured four, including an Israeli woman diplomat whose condition is said to be ‘critical but stable’.
Israel is also believed to have handed over a list of suspects to New Delhi, as per reports.
Home Minister P Chidambaram is expected to issue a statement around noon on the progress in the attack probe. Delhi Police Commissioner BK Gupta is currently at the Home Ministry.
Indian intelligence agencies, meanwhile, are looking for clues to identify those behind the attack. Forensic examination of the samples collected from the attack site are also underway.
The footage obtained from CCTV cameras installed in the area is being examined for clues about the motorcycle-borne attacker who is believed to have been tailing the diplomat’s car.
According to investigations so far and based on eyewitness accounts, police believe a bomb with a magnetic base was possibly used to carry out the attack.
Sources said a 5x8 inch metal plate with a chip has been recovered from the blast site. It also has a handle attached to it.
Police sources also said that the attacker had a remote with him which he used to detonate the bomb.
Sources said while the exact nature of the explosive material used in the attack is yet to be ascertained, the use of RDX or a nitrate-based compound could not be ruled out.
There are also reports that a foreign, sophisticated incendiary device was possibly used in the car bomb, something which Indian agencies have never encountered before.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users