Delhi celebrates Dussehra; PM, Sonia join celebrations
New Delhi: Giant effigies of demon king
Ravan along with his son Meghnad and brother Kumbhkaran went
up in flames as Delhiites on Sunday celebrated Dussehra in all its
colour symbolising the triumph of good over evil.
The culmination of `navratri` marks the beginning of
the 20-day-long wait for Diwali, festival of lights, to
celebrate the return of Lord Ram to Ayodhya after killing the
Dressed in their festive best, people attended
`Ramlilas` across the city where artistes enacted the final
battle episode of Ramayana where Lord Ram kills Ravana and
brings back Sita to Ayodhya.
Dussehra symbolises the victory of good over evil by
celebrating the victory of Lord Ram. The festivities
culminated after nine auspicious days of navratri, during
which Ramlila is enacted to depict the life of Lord Ram.
President Pratibha Patil, Vice-President Hamid Ansari,
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi
joined thousands of Delhiites to celebrate the festival and
attended Ramlilas at Ramlila Ground and Red Fort which
witnessed a massive turnout of people.
Singh, Sonia and Rahul shot the arrows at the effigy
of Ravana at the function in Ramlila Grounds.
As the effigies were set ablaze amid chants in praise
of Lord Ram, people witnessed spectacular fireworks which
illuminated the sky leaving many in awe. Singh applied tilak
on the forehead of the artistes who played the role of Lord
Ram and Lakshman.
Other dignitaries who attended the function at Parade
Ground included Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit. Congress
General Secretary Rahul Gandhi was also present at the
celebrations in Ramlila Grounds.
People also visited friends and relatives and
exchanged gifts on the culmination of nine days of prayers and
fasting to mark the victory of Lord Ram over Asura king Ravana
A large number of people were seen bursting crackers
to mark the festivities while others went to market places on
a shopping spree.
Elaborate security arrangements were made to ensure
that the festivities go without any untoward incident. Police
kept a tight vigil over the city, a senior official said.
There was utter chaos outside the Red Fort as security
personnel prevented people from entering the premises due to
Most of the entry gates were closed for the public and
were opened only after the dignitaries left the Red Fort
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened