Delhi court allows Centre to extradite fugitive criminal to US
New Delhi: A fugitive criminal, wanted in the US to serve 41-month jail term in a bank fraud case, has been allowed to be extradited to the requesting state by a Delhi court.
Allowing the plea of External Affairs Ministry, which had forwarded the extradition request of the US administration, the court recommended to the Centre to extradite 57-year-old Christopher Godfrey, a UK citizen, to the US to serve the jail term.
"In view of my above report, I hereby recommend to Union of India the extradition of fugitive criminal Christopher Godfrey to the requesting state i.e. The United States of America," Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (ACMM) Sudesh Kumar said.
The court allowed the plea of advocate Naveen Kumar Matta, who appeared for the Centre, that the offences committed by Godfrey were extraditable and were covered under extradition agreement entered into between the two countries.
Matta had told the court that Godfrey was arrested in Mumbai on April 7 after a request for extraditing him was received from the US authorities.
The US authorities had requested for Godfrey`s extradition saying he has to serve the jail term awarded to him by a court in northern district of Illinois.
Godfrey was charged on two counts, one for bank fraud and the other for making a false statement to the bank and an arrest warrant was issued against him by the US court on March 15 last year, the US authorities said in their documents sent along with the extradition request.
As per the records received from the US, between February 2002 and April 2004, Godfrey had defrauded and attempted to defraud four banks of USD 9.55 million in Illinois and California.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand