Delhi court convicts five JeM terrorists
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Monday convicted
five Jaish-e-Muhammed terrorists, including two brothers, for
waging war against the country and being involved in spreading
Additional Sessions Judge RK Gauba held Noor Mohammad
Tantre, Pervaiz Ahmed Mir, Faroz Ahmed Bhat, Atiq-uz-Zama and
Raees-uz-Zama, guilty under the stringent anti-terror law,
Prevention of Terrorism Act (POTA).
They were also pronounced guilty under various
sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) relating to waging war
against the country and under the Explosives Substance Act.
Convicts Raees and Atiq are brothers of Habibullah,
who was gunned down by the Delhi Police along with Pakistani
national Zahoor in an encounter on August 30, 2003 in the
millennium park near Nizamuddin bridge here.
The court will pronounce the order on quantum of
sentence on January 6.
All these five convicts were arrested by the Delhi
Police on August 30-31, 2003 following the encounter.
The prosecution had told the court that huge quantity
of arms and ammunitions were recovered from the terrorists and
they had also intercepted a truck containing explosives in a
parking lot in Sadar Bazaar area here.
The seized contrabands included hand grenades and one
grenade launcher, police had told the court.
Two of these five JeM terrorists were arrested by the
Delhi Police from Bulandshahar district of Uttar Pradesh on
August 31, 2003 and the investigating agency had also
recovered huge quantity of explosives from the duo.
- Subramanian Swamy speaks about AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi
- Subramanian Swamy speaks about AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi- Part II
- ED summons former Air Chief Marshal S.P. Tyagi
- DNA: When will Muslim women get freedom from triple divorce?
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Will free jailed Pakistan doctor who tracked Osama bin Laden: Donald Trump
- Federation Cup National Athletics: Lalita Babar sets national mark, Sudha Singh joins her in 2016 Rio Olympics 3000m steeple
- Delhi Speaker nominates 13 AAP MLAs as members of civic bodies
- Sharad Pawar endorses Nitish Kumar as face of united oppn, Congress stays mum
- Indian Mathematician mimics viruses to design smallest self-assembling structures