Delhi court hears Abu Salem`s bail plea in extortion case
New Delhi: A Delhi court today heard the
bail plea of extradited gangster Abu Salem in a 12-year-old
case of alleged extortion in which he has sought his release
on the statutory ground that he has been in jail for more than
the prescribed sentence for the offence.
"The accused deserved to be released on bail on this
ground alone that he has spent more than three years in jail,
which is more than the prescribed punishment for the offence
of extortion," Arvind Shukla, appearing for Salem, told
Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Kiran Bansal.
"The section 436A of the CrPC has been inserted for
granting bail to an accused who has completed half of maximum
period of imprisonment specified under the law," he said.
The plea was, however, opposed by public prosecutor
Rajeev Mohan saying Salem, along with co-accused Romesh
Sharma, alleged front-man of underworld don Dawood Ibrahim, is
also booked under section 120B (criminal conspiracy) of IPC.
The ACMM then listed the matter for further hearing on
July 17 saying the case records are with a sessions court
which is hearing a revision petition of co-accused Sharma.
Sharma had challenged the ACMM`s order by which his
right to examine witnesses in defence has been closed.
They have been made accused in an FIR lodged at Hauz
Khas police station in 1998 under 384 (extortion) and 120B
(conspiracy) of IPC.
Salem had allegedly made threat calls to businessmen
Vinay Kumar Singh and Malkiyat Singh in 1998. He had also
threatened some employees of a company.
Sharma used to provide information to Salem on phone
regarding the potential targets, police said.
Meanwhile, a court of Additional Sessions Judge Pinki
recorded the statement of a senior scientific officer who had
examined the alleged taped conversation of Salem and the
victims in another extortion case.
According to the police, Salem had in 2003 allegedly made
threat calls to businessman Ashok Gupta, a resident of
Greater Kailash here, to extort Rs five crore as protection
money from him. The police had recorded some of the alleged
A separate court at Tis Hazari, hearing another case of
alleged extortion, adjourned the proceedings to July 17 after
issuing bailable warrants against two witnesses as they failed
to appear before it without any intimation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'