Delhi EC deploys special teams to weed out bogus voters
New Delhi: To ensure free and fair polls, Delhi Election Commission has put in place a surveillance mechanism to weed out "bogus" voters in the city, including in constituencies represented by senior leaders of the various political parties.
Special teams comprising officials and police personnel would be deployed by DEC to identify "bogus" as well as "non-existent voters".
"Special teams are being formed to check non-existent and bogus voters," a senior official of DEC said.
He said DEC had prepared the electoral rolls "very carefully" and added that efforts will continue to ensure that bogus voters do not vote.
Referring to a survey by the Commission last year which found a whopping 15 lakh non-existent voters in Delhi, the official said every effort would be made to ensure no bogus voting took place during the December 4 Assembly elections.
DEC had conducted a door-to-door survey last year during which it found there were 15 lakh non-existent voters, including those who may have died or shifted to other places.
Over two lakh people have applied for registration as voters since last month and around 50,000 of them have filed their applications in the last one week.
Following the rush for inclusion of names in the voters` list, the Commission has extended the date for accepting applications till November 6.
It has also directed booth level officers (BLOs) to verify the applications before the list for the Assembly elections is finalised.
According to officials, Delhi has a total of 1.15 crore registered voters and the female-male ratio stands at 804 to 1,000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- CBSE XII Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared tomorrow